Table Saw Maintenance

Discussion in 'Woodworking Power Tools' started by WingDing, Feb 27, 2012.

1. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

Just got a new table saw, my old one did not have a cast iron top. What are folks using to keep the top protected? I've read a variety of options, but not sure which is the best route to go.

What are you using to protect your cast iron top from rust?

Thanks!

2. ALV

ALV New Member

WD40 is not so good. Rockler sell Bostik TopCote, which has good reviews.

3. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, ALV. No, WD40 is not a good choice. Neither is anything else with silicone in it, as it could transfer to the stock you're cutting... or so I've read.

I think I might pick up some paste wax and coat it liberally with that.

4. Dak

Dak New Member

I use a carnauba paste and buff it after drying.

5. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't really have a rust problem where I live. Dust is what plagues us.
    With that said it rained here all day yesterday.

I use spray silicone on my saw table. I spray it on and then wipe it dry. If you use the saw when the silicone is wet then it can stain some wood.

When I am on a job sight and am cutting large beams with a beam saw I will also spray the blade with silicone to help it cut smoother.

If I have to store a saw for a long period of time I will go to the motorcycle shop and buy some motorcycle chain wax. It is made for motorcycle chains with O rings. It has lubricant and wax in it. I will spray my table real good with it and let it dry. When I need to use it again I just clean it off with paint thinner.
    It also works good for blades on handsaws if you want to store them.

6. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

I use Bostick Topcote and have no rust

7. i just use an old can of floor paste wax - makes the wood really glide. I live in the San Francisco Bay area so don't have much humidtiy or moisture . Works works fine for me - First steel wool, then a light application of wax, let it sit for 15 minutes and then buff any residue away.