Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

For crafters....

Discussion in 'Woodturning' started by Twiceshy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Twiceshy

Twiceshy New Member

I am allergic to nickel which means I have to be extremely careful when using aluminum Crochet hooks or knitting needles.

How difficult is it to make wood versions of the same craft tools?

Could they be made using a very small, table top lathe?

[​IMG]

2. Taggart

Taggart New Member

Sorry, I don't have that much experience with a lathe, but I was wondering if you could use some smaller diameter dowel material?

3. oldnamvet

oldnamvet Member

I have made knitting needles from wood as well as crochet hooks. If you don't have a lathe, a drill press and some files will do nicely. With the crochet hook, you then have to do a little hand work with needle files to get the shape right. I have never tried to make the really small hooks so don't know how well they would hold up.
    Ever considered electroplating the steel with comething like copper? Gold would be ideal but a little bit expensive.

4. GordonP

GordonP New Member

I tried making knitting needles for my wife and she found they worked very well for most yarns but I just was not able to get the needles smooth enough to prevent the finer wools and silks from catching. This was especially true when I got down to the smaller needles. My wife is also allergic to most metals and it drives her crazy having to work with metal needs on her small work.

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

My wife switched to bamboo needles some years ago. I have never worked with bamboo before and I believe it is difficult to obtain. What woods do people use? I would worry about the needles snapping, especially the thinner needles.

6. Harry

Harry New Member

My sister uses plastic knitting needles on a circlular piece of plastic. I think they're readily available in stores where they sell knitting and crocheting supplies. I'll have to ask her the next time I see her.

7. carrot

carrot New Member

Aluminum crochet hooks don't have nickel in them so I don't understand why there is a problem.If it states it is an aluminum hook, that is. If it just says metal, then usually the base, at least, is nickel due to the cheapness of it. Honestly, unless you just like the challenge, it's a lot easier and cheaper to just go buy wooden or plastic hooks and needles. You can buy either one in a good shop.

8. Cammy

Cammy New Member

Sorry I can not help you out when it comes to making your on hooks and needles. I wanted to ask if you sealed the wood after making the needles? If you end up not having any luck at making hooks and needles, I have bought some plastic ones at a hobby store. They work well, although I still prefer my metal ones. I have heard of bamboo knitting needles and such, but have never been able to find any locally.

9. carrot

carrot New Member

Try Joanne's Fabrics for a good selection of both wood and bamboo crochet hooks and knitting needles. If you don't have one locally, you can check their website. I'm pretty sure that they carry everything there that they do in the stores.