Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Building cupboards

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by remodelme, Feb 19, 2012.

1. remodelme

remodelme New Member

If you were going to build new kitchen cupboards, what type of wood would you use? I want something that will last for many years (without cracking). I was thinking of using Cherry or even a dark oak.

2. ALV

ALV New Member

I would make the carcases from cherry or oak veneer cabinet grade plywood. It won't crack or cup. There are plans available on the Internet. Use solid wood for the faces. Doors can be done many different ways.
    If your on a budget, you could substitute cheaper plywood where it doesn't show. I've used fir floor underlayment on a few projects. It's got the voids filled and is water resistant. It's not to bad to look at if you squint or paint.

3. Rob

Rob New Member

I agree with ALV. It's just so expensive to use the real wood throughout. Putting the natural woods on the outside gives you the effect you're after but won't bankrupt you in the process. I'd love the cherry more than the oak, but I would want a more contemporary feel than a rustic one.

4. remodelme

remodelme New Member

We have both oak and cherry logs in our yard that are ready to be cut into boards. They were cut down last year so they are ready to go, or so I have been told. So really I don't need to use anything but the real thing. I love the look of cherry - it had a reddish tint. I just wanted to know which would hold up better.

5. williehandyman

williehandyman New Member

I agree on using good plywood where it does not show-- and then for the doors you can use a hardwood and stain it and I think it will be beautiful-- My wife and I built our own kitchen cabinets when we remodled and it was a job but we were pleased with them

6. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

Plywood is more stable then real wood when it comes to warping. Make sure the moisture level in the wood is 9% or lower before using it to decrease the chance of warping.