Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Battery operated tools

Discussion in 'Woodworking Power Tools' started by oldnamvet, Feb 19, 2009.

1. oldnamvet

oldnamvet Member

No denying they are convenient but after a few years the batteries are done for. When you look at the cost of replacement batteries, you might as well buy a new tool. For that reason, I keep my corded tools and a few heavy duty long extension cords. 99% of the time, I don't require a battery powered tool. I have corded tools that are 30 years old and still going strong. In the same time, I have gone through 8 or 10 battery operated drills (some really high end ones). When my current one goes kaput (and it is just about there now), I'll probably save up and get another just because they are convenient when I only need to drill one hole somewhere and am too lazy to drag out the extension cord. Anybody else old fashioned and prefer 110 AC to 18 volts lithium?

2. chocoguy

chocoguy New Member

I can’t even imagine myself getting a battery operated tool because they are consuming too much battery. It would be wiser if you will just use tool that can be plug into the sockets.

3. Taggart

Taggart New Member

I got a battery operated set for my father-in-law a couple years ago, but I'm sure he hasn't used it enough to really challenge the life expectancy of it.

I think I'll stick to the AC powered tools myself.

4. Laughingmouse

Laughingmouse New Member

While battery powered tools are truly handy, I don't like the replacement issues.

I'll stick with corded tools, in most cases.

5. Forever Learning

Forever Learning New Member

I recently started using a battery powered drill motor for driving my screws while cabinet building. It is a true joy to use. I’ll probably always have one now. No more laying on a cord while trying to move it just a little more up or down and having to stop and get more slack in the cord before I can get the right angle.

6. Larry Norton

Larry Norton New Member

When the batteries started going on my old Dewalt 9.6, Lowes was having a sale on new ones for $70. I bought one, now I have 2 drills with 2 good batteries, and 2 that will hold a charge for a short time.

7. peerawit

peerawit New Member

Since the battery pack is quite experience for me.. I used a corded one

8. WoodWorker

WoodWorker New Member

Never had a problem with my dewalt :)

9. contractor

contractor New Member

While it's true that battery packs don't last nearly long enough, I couldn't imagine having to drag around a power tool with a cord while on the job. If I used it for odd jobs around the house that might be a different story.

10. Rae

Rae New Member

I prefer my AC tools to the cordless ones. I have a cordless drill I use for quick projects around the house, but when I am working on someone else's house or a larger project, I opt for the stamina and power I get from my corded tools.

11. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

We have so many cords around this house I don't know what one goes to which thing any more. I do think corded tools are better for the environment than all those batteries we toss aside. It's just hard to discard old cords in case you might need one of them later.

12. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

I find that corded tools have more power and, because of that, I generally prefer them. I do have a battery powered drill for odd jobs, though. Like others have stated, it's just more convenient if I'm only going to be using it for a short period of time.

13. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

My husband got my son a good skill saw for his birthday. It came with a nice long cord. His brother got a set of 2 drills for his birthday, with battery packs. I don't want to ask my husband this dumb question so I'll ask it here. Why don't saws come with battery packs since it's quite possible that you could cut a cord with a saw?

14. While I do agree about the corded models typically having more continuous power, today's battery powered tools have really advanced and many provide the same level of power as the corded models.

15. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

I've got some battery-powered tools (drills, primarily) and I really beat on them. There's a place around me that will rebuild your truly dead batteries at a fraction of the cost of buying new.

There's also a way to 'jump start' batteries that fall below their minimum charge level. Once they fall below that level, chargers simply recognize them as being dead. Once you jump it over that minimum level, you can charge them up, business as usual.

I jumped one battery I have 2 years ago, and I still use it today. I've only jumped it that one time.