Workshop Basic Tools

Discussion in 'General Woodworking' started by BldrsWife, Jan 23, 2012.

1. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

If you were starting a woodworking shop from scratch, what basic pieces of woodworking tools and equipment would you consider to be absolute necessities? Assume that the shop would be used to make smaller pieces of furniture.

2. woodcrafts

woodcrafts New Member

I would say you would need a table saw and a mitre saw. You also need good sanders - hand sanders, a larger sander and a detailing sander. Of course the most important thing is a work bench! You also need saw horses.

3. Russell Pisciotta

Russell Pisciotta New Member

Compound miter saw, TS, router, Bandsaw is a must. I have about 6 different sanders and a sanding bench with a belt sander built in. You'll find that finishing is what you do most, so I'd keep the big tools on wheels so you can move them. Make the same space do multiple functions.

4. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

Don't forget clamps , lots of clamps.

5. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

Accurate measuring tools are essential.

6. steve

steve Member

good lighting is a must! an air compressor and finish nail gun. and lots of clamps!!!

7. MissionIsMyMission

MissionIsMyMission New Member

It kinda depends on the kind of woodworking you want to do. If you want to do square work or round work. Square work like Tables, Chests, cabinets, then Table Saw, Bandsaw, Jointer, Planer, Sanders, and Clamps

Round Work - Bandsaw, Lathe or a Shop Smith.

8. Frank Donnelly

Frank Donnelly New Member

A band saw for me. I cannot imagine woodworking life without it.

9. AlexB

AlexB New Member

Don't forget basics if you are going to do small furniture ...good chisels (Two Cherries, Stanley Sweetheart) Dovetail saw (Japanese or Western), cabinet scraper, marking gauge (Hamilton, tite mark), combination square, marking knife (Back Channel, Lee Valley), quality mallet, hand plane (Stanley Sweetheart, Kunz)

10. ALV

ALV New Member

Is there a budget? If yes, you might consider some hand tools vs power. I've been using hand planes and scrapers rather than sanding. Old stanleys from antique stores or ebay work for me. Also, there are table saw techniques which can substitute for a jointer. Have fun