Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Woodworking gifts

Discussion in 'Woodturning' started by Rob, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Rob

Rob New Member

I have a nephew who wants to get started in woodworking. I've been debating on a really nice gift for him for his birthday, but I'm hesitant to put too much money into it in case he doesn't stick with it. What are some suggestions that hit the middle of the road?

2. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

That is a good question. Depending on how old he is , I would say maybe a decent circular saw or a sander.
    Two things you have to do in almost all wood work is cut wood and sand wood.
    Maybe some woodworking books would come in handy and give him some ideas.
    You could get him a prescription to a good woodworking magazine , then he will have something to look forward to each month.
    Let us know what you decide.

3. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

Another cool idea would be to get a set of plans and materials for the both of you to work on. Would be a great bonding experience, some sharing of knowledge, and in the end, you could give him the finished product.

My grandfather was the woodworker in my family, only me and one other cousin really took it on as a hobby. I would have loved to have shared an experience like that with my grandfather.

Good luck! As always, keep us posted.

4. remodelme

remodelme New Member

Great question! I would find out how interested he is prior to buying a lot of woodworking tools and items. I like the idea about getting him something that he can do with you. That would be pretty fun. I would probably start him off with a small sander (not expensive) and some sand paper.

5. Vickie

Vickie New Member

I would give him a certificate to share some shop time with you! Let him pick the project. There is no more special gift than the time you can spend with him, and share your knowledge!

6. Rob

Rob New Member

These are great ideas. I love the idea of a woodworking magazine subscription coupled with an invitation to work on a project together. He would be learning a lot from the magazines and at the same time getting some real work experience with me in my shop. Depending on what we choose to make, I can then get him a small tool or two for his own budding shop.

7. Christopher

Christopher New Member

I think working on a project together is a superb idea. How old is your nephew? When I was in Lowe's I saw these tool sets for kids. They were real tools, not sure on what kind of tools, but the size of the tools were easy for kids to handle. Right next to that display were projects, you could work on. I remember seeing a catapult project, that I wanted for myself! :)

8. carrot

carrot New Member

I would get him a kit of some sort that had everything he'd need to make something. That way, if he doesn't enjoy it, he isn't stuck with tools that he'll never use again. I do like what others said about working on a project together, too.

9. Calvin

Calvin New Member

Some of those kits where you make beautiful pens is a great idea if he's serious about working with wood. So are toys, boxes and birdhouses. You could always work on something together. I'm assuming the nephew is old enough to work with tools and not really a small child.