Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Where do you get your Wood

Discussion in 'General Woodworking' started by Christopher, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher New Member

Do you think the quality of lumber differs in each store? Where do you buy lumber, and why do you think it is the best place. I was also wondering if anyone just went out and chopped a tree down for their projects?

2. Cammy

Cammy New Member

I have never gone out and chopped my own wood. My uncle once went out and constructed a chair out of wood that came from his wooded area. I am not sure if one store has better wood than another, but I usually go to Lowe's. Sometimes I go to Marvin's, it all depends on my errands for the day.

3. Rob

Rob New Member

Local supply stores

I get mine either from Lowe's, Home Depot or one of several local building supply stores here in town. On occasion, I luck up and run across some odds and ends at a Habitat for Humanity store we have here. Our local builders often take things there when they are doing remodeling jobs.

4. remodelme

remodelme New Member

We get a lot of our wood from Lowe's. We also have used our own wood (we logged our woods and had several trees to use). I also use barn board from barns all over our area.

5. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

I am a carpenter by trade so all the wood used at work is store bought.
    At my home work shop I use Mesquite wood mainly. All the mesquite I use I harvest and make into boards myself.

6. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

If I'm doing some projects around the house and wood species isn't a real concern, I'll go to Home Depot usually.

When wood species (and quality) are going to be shown off, I'll go to a local hardwood dealer. It's unlikely you'll find anything outside of pine, poplar, and/or maple at the Home Depots around me. That may very regionally.

Plywood I'll buy from the hardwood dealer, too. You'll pay for it, but the quality is leaps and bounds better than most big-box home centers.

For me, it's largely dependent on the project.

7. WingDing

buster, how do you go about rough cutting the Mesquite you harvest? Do you have access to a saw mill? Or have you fashioned one of those nifty band saw sleds to rough cut lumber?

Interested in learning more, for sure, from all I've read, rough cut is certainly the way to go. Unfortunately, I can't find money in the budget at the moment to purchase a jointer and/or planer.

8. steve

steve Member

buying wood

I live in the foot hills of the Adirondacks so there are many loggers and saw mills around me so most of my projects are from wood I have bought and stored for years. I have wood that I bought 10 years ago. I have some wood that is just waiting for the right project like these 3 5/4 x12x12 curly maple boards i have had for ever. I am not sure what I will build with them but its nice wood. those 3 boards would go for about 300 dollars each around here. I have bought wood at Lowes and home depot if I need something quick with out having to plane and what not. there is a guy in cliffton park NY that sells exotic wood real neat stuff. well that all I have for this post happy wood working and keep the fingers out of trouble work safe.

9. WingDing

Steve, a fellow New Yorker! I've got a camp on Brantingham Lake, not too far from you.

BTW, saw your bar in the Picture Gallery. Looks great. Did you pin the tenon on the corbels? Love the way those corbels look.

10. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

I use a chainsaw mill for the big stuff and a bandsaw for smaller pieces.

11. steve

steve Member

yes I did pin them this went into a newer farm house. we are near chase lake on the erie canal rd. we like to eat at trails end and the pine tree restaurants up in Brantingham. will be posting pics of my latest project soon I am in the sanding stages right now.

12. Russell Pisciotta

Russell Pisciotta New Member

I know a guy locally where I can get some wood. I just got some kiln dried Walnut for 3.45 a BF. Nice long planks about 10" wide and about 7 or 8 ft length, 15/16. I also get wood cut from trunks of walnut, hedge, and oak from him to make some artsy coffee tables. If you start asking around, you may find someone who does this where you're from. It's really a good way to get some great wood.

13. Russell Pisciotta

Russell Pisciotta New Member

I know a guy locally where I can get some wood. I just got some kiln dried Walnut for 3.45 a BF. Nice long planks about 10" wide and about 7 or 8 ft length, 15/16. I also get wood cut from trunks of walnut, hedge, and oak from him to make some artsy coffee tables. If you start asking around, you may find someone who does this where you're from. It's really a good way to get some great wood. He cuts his own wood, dries it in a kiln and planes it before you buy it.

14. Marshall

Marshall New Member

Food for thought - if any of you know where any new construction of homes are being build , scraps are good for a lot of different small projects such as scoll work .......

15. steve

steve Member

good idea!

16. MissionIsMyMission

MissionIsMyMission New Member

I get mine from local mills. Lot's of em sprung up a couple years back after a horrible ice storm. Lots of Walnut, Maple and Oak available now with great prices. Black Walnut for $2.00 bf. Red Oak $1.25 bf Air Dried for 2 years so good stuff.;)

17. JP Senior

JP Senior New Member

I get my Lumber from a local wholesaler and local mills I quit buying it from Lowes and HomeDepot a long time ago. The Quality of lumber has gotten worse and worse over the years due to fast harvesting methods. If you buy Red oak from local saw mills you will want to make sure they quarter sawed it. You will also find that kiln dryed Red oak is Better it dont warp and cup as bad.

18. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

I bought several 100 board ft from a private individual last fall that will probably keep me going for awhile. Approx 700 board ft.