Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Tornado Season

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by katharina, Jun 5, 2009.

1. katharina

katharina New Member

Are you in an area that's prone to tornados or hurricanes? We've had a lot more tornadoes over the last decade than usual.

The only thing I get here from hurricanes is the downpours sometimes but the tornadoes are terrifying.

Are you prepared for a disaster with a survival kit?

2. SageMother

SageMother New Member

The sirens are tested every Wednesday at 11A.M., where I live. In fact, they actually went off 2 weeks ago because a storm started churning and produced a funnel.

The first thing people do when there is a warning, here, is go outside and look at the sky, to see where the funnel is!

We don't have a survival kit. We live in downtown Denver and, until climate change makes tornadoes behave differently, I don't think we will see those 2 mile wide behemoths that stay on the ground for 2 hours. Most of the big tornadoes hit east of us, and when they have hit near downtown, they have been the "hop, skip, and jump" types that throw parked cars as they go across your front yard, leaving your home untouched.

3. Twiceshy

Twiceshy New Member

We don't have a survival kit, per se, but we tend to watch the sky and know weather isn't looking good long before the weather service puts an alert out.

I've never made a survival kit because we don't live far from emergency services. They could walk over to help us out, and vice versa.

4. katharina

katharina New Member

Yes, I know that's what human nature wants everyone to do. Including my grandpa years ago when a tornado hit his rural town. We asked if he'd been in the basement and he laughed "NO! I could see it knocking trees down as it went through the woods from the front door!"

In his defense :) his basement door was just a few steps away and he WAS totally prepared to head for the steps should the visible funnel make a turn.

5. katharina

katharina New Member

Mostly what I had prepared before we moved was a "tornado box" that contained videos, important papers in a small safe, and pictures. It wasn't too heavy to grab and head for the basement.

Problem with this new house is a big one... no basement and still in an area where it could happen.

6. katharina

katharina New Member

Speaking of... there was such a nasty line of storms moving through at 4:00 this morning that I thought I'd have to head for the closet under the stairs. Wasn't quite interested enough to actually get up and turn the weather station on, but I probably should have.

7. heretoday

heretoday New Member

Denver is usually one of the hubs we come into when flying , and you can tell that Denver is near by the dips and little shudders the plane starts to make. You guys have air patterns (whatever you call them) that remind me of home on the Coast!

8. katharina

katharina New Member

Well isn't this eerie? I just heard that your area is under a tornado watch or warning now... I hope you're staying safe, SageMother.

9. heretoday

heretoday New Member

I have relatives in Omaha. A couple of years ago they had a "high wind warning" that blew the trees down to the ground (none of them snapped). I'm used to that on the coast, but it seemed really frighten-making to me. Last visit I was alone in the house watching TV when a tornado warning came on; the local news had a map of the area on the TV, and it seemed that they were touching down where my family was. They got home safe and sound, but I was a bundle of nerves.
    Earthquakes and coastal storms don't faze me at all. I even enjoy them a bit (my husband and I got together in the midst of a quake week), but tornadoes make me nervous in the extreme.

10. katharina

katharina New Member

Another thing that's pure terror is not knowing where you ARE when a tornado warning comes up. Let me explain. :)

It was our road trip last year and we'd gotten a hotel along the interstate. It was very stormy all during the night so at 5 a.m. we just all got up. The local television news was talking about funnels being seen in [whatever it was they said] county. Only we had no idea what county that hotel was in.

We tried to find it in the phone book before calling the desk at 5 a.m. but there certainly were some scary moments. If the funnels are already on the ground, there isn't a lot of time to do much of anything.

And what does one *do* in a hotel anyhow... I assume the bathroom is safest?

11. SageMother

SageMother New Member

LOL

The first thing that happens is I turn on the family room lights, because it gets as dark as dusk. Every time the weather turns, noon goes to just about night. Then I look outside at the sky to see how green those clouds might be, or black depending on the amount of rain that has or hasn't fallen.

By the time the weather service comes on and the sirens are blaring, I plotted my course to the basement. Sometimes, I am actually working on the computer in the basement before the sirens get going!

12. katharina

katharina New Member

Hey now that's what I call being prepared... a computer in the basement! Well, if you keep your electricity, that is! Ah... laptop with charged batteries?

13. Twiceshy

Twiceshy New Member

Have you ever sat through one of those afternoons where the sirens go off about 9 times in a 45 minute period?

I can't tell if one of them is the all clear, if they are doing warnings then all clears several times an hour, if they are setting off the siren because there's actually a funnel overhead?

After a while it starts losing its impact!

Ever had an afternoon like that?

14. katharina

katharina New Member

I'm not in an area that has the sirens... we get them here and get numerous warnings during the hot months, but I need to get warnings from the weather station or my emergency email.

That would be soooo unnerving! :eek:

15. heretoday

heretoday New Member

I'm not sure who was playing the baseball game in the midwest my husband was watching this weekend. The cameras were taking picture of a giant funnel almost reached down to the ground. Then they resumed the game and never said another thing about it, so it must not have touched down.

16. katharina

katharina New Member

How strange! That's how used to it they are, I guess. Did anyone bother getting up to head for cover or just stay there and wait for it to pass? :eek:

17. SageMother

SageMother New Member

Saturday or Sunday, I think, the Rockies played and the sirens were going off. There was a funnel over downtown, so the storm was within a quick walk from my house.

Usually they empty the stands into the walkways, since they are surrounded by cement.

That was another "midnight at noon" day.

18. katharina

katharina New Member

My goodness! Did your home suffer any damage from that storm or any
    of the storms around there recently?

19. Twiceshy

Twiceshy New Member

I heard there were a few pebbles of hail, near the game, but the bulk of the storm was actually north.

Since funnels usually appear at the edges of the storms, other areas got the golf ball sized hail.

20. katharina

katharina New Member

Ouch for any vehicles that are outside when golf ball sized hail is falling! I've seen hail in my lifetime but never that big.