Tool that they didn't have when you started...

Discussion in 'Woodworking Power Tools' started by carrot, Mar 7, 2012.

1. carrot

carrot New Member

And now you couldn't live without it. I don't think I've seen a lot of change when it comes to tools but I know many of you have been working with wood for decades longer than I have. I'd love to hear what developments you've seen through the years.

2. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

Two things that come to mind would be the nail gun and the sliding miter saw.
    They might have been around then , but nobody had one.

We had to hand nail everything and the closest thing we had to a sliding miter saw was the radial arm saw.
    Now days you don't see radial arm saws much. If you do it is usually in the back of someone's shop covered in dust and you can't go to a job sight now and not see a nail gun.

Another tool that is everywhere now that wasn't around is the cordless tool. We always had to drag an extension cord everywhere we went.

3. Rob

Rob New Member

I use an electric stapler all the time and can't imagine doing without it. I have no idea how long they've been around, but in my circle of friends, they just weren't there when I was growing up. I wouldn't let it go for anything now.

4. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

I would have to say the miter saw. Before I had one (not necessarily before they were popular), using the tried and true miter box certainly worked, but it took quite a while.

Air tools of any sort also add a variety of options that weren't always available.

I'm a tool junkie, so I love them all equally!

5. dhampton

dhampton New Member

My woodworking days started with a single blade ax. From that I can't imagine doing without any of my tools that I've accumulated over the past 50+ years. :)