Tongue and groove

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by woodcrafts, Jan 29, 2012.

1. woodcrafts

woodcrafts New Member

Has anyone used tongue and groove for their walls? I have a co-worker who just did a couple rooms in her house with this and it's gorgeous. She hired it out. I would love to rip apart my living room and put up tongue and groove boards. Is it something that I can do myself(with my hubby)?

2. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

I've not used it but I've been interested in tongue and groove paneling for a while now. It really adds a lovely accent to a room and it is quite economically priced.

3. remodelme

remodelme New Member

My parents used tongue and groove in their living room and it's amazing. It made the room look rustic! My dad and uncle did the work so I'm sure you could do it.

4. Matty

Matty New Member

Sure you can do it... I've seen it at many houses. I would go to a class at Home Depot or Lowe's and then try it. If it does not work out you can always hire someone to help.

5. Sandy

Sandy New Member

Tongue and groove paneling

There should be no reason you and another person couldn't install this type of paneling for yourselves. It's a simple matter of a little measuring, a bit of math, some accurate cutting, fitting and a bit of old-fashioned muscle. Good luck if you decide to try it.

6. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

Tongue and groove is easy to do. One mistake that is made quite a bit is to start nailing it up and when you get to the last piece it will be wedge shape. After every couple of pieces you should measure from the edge of the T&G to where you are ending the T&G on both ends. Then adjust the T&G so that will end up with a straight piece. You don't have to keep each piece perfectly straight. You can adjust it with a couple of pieces so that you end up with a straight line in the end.