Time to make home repairs

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Harry, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Harry

Harry New Member

I've put it off as long as I can. I have to get a cracked window fixed and call in an electrician to take care of lights in one bathroom and hall that evidently have a short in them. I don't want a house fire because of faulty wires. Something's wrong with the doorbell, too. These little things can add up. What repairs should you be getting to soon?

2. Nailed

Nailed New Member

I need to do the same thing. We broke a cabinet door awhile back. We have a crack in the plaster in one bedroom. The outside back door is not closing right. Before you know it, it will need some major repair if I don't get to it soon. I noticed one of the back gutters had come off. Pine straw is clogging the rest. I have lots to do as soon as we have a fair weather day.

3. GordonP

GordonP New Member

Home owners have to keep up on their regular small repairs or they will end up having to spend a good deal of money making major repairs. I suffered this issue when I did not make the necessary repairs that I need to make in the main bathroom. Now I had to spend $5,000 to remake the entire room. Learn from my experience and repair as you go along!

4. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

We have a problem with the float on our sump pump sticking at times. When it rains I'm worried about the basement flooding. There is also a problem with the circuit that goes to the smoke detector upstairs. We do have a battery back-up but I would like it to be fixed.

5. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

I also have a cracked window that I need to replace. I've been putting it off but it needs to get done! There's also a leaky faucet that needs to be addressed and I need to repaint the living area. I'm waiting until it warms up a bit to tackle all of that!

6. contractor

contractor New Member

You are wise not to wait. I've worked with too many homeowners who thought they could get by without doing a repair to save a bit of money. In the end it often costs even more, especially in labor costs.

7. remodelme

remodelme New Member

I wish the list was small but it's not. We are working on cupboards soon. Molding right now for a couple of rooms. We even have to make a couple of closet doors.

8. Christopher

Christopher New Member

I have some cabinets to replace, I think the ones we have are from the seventies! Amazingly, that is about it for home repairs. I was thinking of getting bamboo blinds, though.

9. Rob

Rob New Member

Paint and electrical outlets

We have some electrical outlets that need changing over from two prong to three prong. I don't know why we've waited so long to do this. The hall and front door areas need repainting. It's always something, isn't it?

10. WingDing

WingDing Super Moderator Staff Member

Rob, I couldn't agree more. ALWAYS something. I own a 110 year old home. Luckily I've got all the electrical and plumbing updated. But, that doesn't mean the home is issue-free. It can get exhausting!

11. williehandyman

williehandyman New Member

williehandyman

I have always done maintenance- I used to work for a school district and was the head maintenance person for the high school part of it- I worked at it for about 15-20 years- I had a lot of fun and some dissappointments- but all in all it is better to repair as you go and keep things in shape- I like to do everything I can do myself because I know how it is being done- also the finances come into play and when you can't afford to call someone you do it yourself-- but it can be fun and rewarding

12. Matty

Matty New Member

Right now we are having some problems with our bathroom. One of the outlets stopped working. I think we need to have the outlet rewired. I do believe we will change out everything in the bathroom when we do this. Makes sense if we are ripping the walls out. I'm going to have additional outlets put in too.

13. remodelme

remodelme New Member

Sounds like a plan Matty - might as well change the bathroom around while the walls are ripped out. We have finished the molding and the closet doors. We are still working on the cupboards. I'm thinking of putting in outdoor lights (solar) this coming weekend.