Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Stools and table

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by woodcrafts, Jan 19, 2012.

1. woodcrafts

woodcrafts New Member

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I would love to make new bar stools and a new table out of wood. I am thinking about using trees for this. You know cutting down the branches and using these as the legs. I could cut a couple pieces out of the actual tree for the top of the stool too. Has anyone made stools or tables out of trees? What did you use to protect them? I almost think I would like to strip the bark off and then put a polyurethane on them. Any one have any tips! I really want to make these.

2. contractor

contractor New Member

The only problem with this is that you need to let the wood age in a climate controlled area before you use it. Green wood, when subjected to heat, tends to twist and will dry crooked. So although your idea sounds creative, I'm not sure you'd get the results you are hoping for.

3. woodcrafts

woodcrafts New Member

I was thinking about this after I asked. I would only used "dead wood" - I wouldn't cut any live tree down to use. I am wondering if it would crack though and not be as sturdy as I once thought? Has anyone tried anything like this before? I think I'll look online to see if I see anything close to what I want to do.

4. remodelme

remodelme New Member

We did this a few years ago it they turned out wonderful. You have to be sure to put a protective coat over them every year though. I believe we used cherry trees. We did not take the bark off though, I think it adds character.

5. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

As long as the wood is dry before you build them you should be fine. I have made several tables out of slabs that I crosscut through a tree. I didn't use branches for the legs but I have seen tables and stools made the way you describe and they look fine. They came out good.
    I used Teak Oil to finish mine.

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

Be sure to inspect the wood carefully to make sure you don't have any little critters who have taken up residence. I once ended up with an antique oriental rug riddled with moth holes because I didn't realize the old wood I stored nearby had brought in a hungry family.