Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Salmon & Cedar?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taggart, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Taggart

Taggart New Member

I've never tried it, but has anyone here cooked salmon on a cedar plank?

I understand that you need to soak the plank first. I wouldn't mind trying it sometime - Our local grocery store always seems to have the planks in stock.

2. katharina

katharina New Member

I've never done it and never heard of it actually... BUT I really can't stomach salmon too much, so I don't need to know how to cook it. hehe I know, I know, it's sooo healthy, but it's all I can do to buy some once in a while and force it down. :eek:

3. oldnamvet

oldnamvet Member

I have made planked fish when backpacking and camping in the wild. I usually used a piece of green wood since I think the idea of soaking it is so it won't burn and taint the fish. I would plank the fish in front of the fire and when the wood started to smoke, the fish would be past done.

4. Taggart

Taggart New Member

I think I've seen salmon on cedar at a buffet, but I don't remember if I tasted it.

I suppose the cedar adds to the flavor, kind of like using mesquite on a barbecue or using a wood burning oven for pizza.

5. katharina

katharina New Member

I enjoy that kind of mesquite flavor... I'd like this much better if it would be some other kind of fish, though. Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work for other things besides salmon.

6. heretoday

heretoday New Member

Up here in the Pacific NW, that's a really popular way to eat salmon. If I understand correctly, they take a cedar plank or shingle (looks more like a shingle to me) and roast the salmon on it. People I know who have had it that way tell me it's very good.

7. Kitten

Kitten New Member

Aww, I read this too quickly and saw "salmon and cheddar," which immediately made me start drooling, haha.

And I haven't done this myself, but it sounds really good.

8. heretoday

heretoday New Member

LOL, Kitten!
    Another thing folks like to do with their salmon is grill it over some fancy briquets, like mesquite. They usually put a big dill leaf (frond? ruffle?) on the side of the fish.

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher New Member

I live in the NW and I've used cedar planks many times to grill my salmon on. It works very well.
    My wife brought home some cedar planks she found at an upscale food market. After recovering from the shock of her paying $10+ for a couple of 1/4" thick boards, I got the idea of using cedar shakes. You just have to make sure they are'nt treated in any way!
    At any rate, soak the planks (shakes) for a few hours before using.
    There are many recipes for this technique on the web. Just do a search for "cedar plank salmon"
    Try it, you'll like it!

10. WoodWorker

WoodWorker New Member

Mmm sounds good

11. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

We have salmon twice a week. My husband would eat it more than that. I've never heard of cooking it on cedar planks. We're in North Carolina. I think I'm going to scout around for some of these planks and try something different. Thanks for posting this.

12. Rae

Rae New Member

I'm in Louisiana and I actually made some nice cedar planks for salmon a couple years ago and they're still holding up. It's not a common way of cooking salmon down here, but I got the idea from a cooking show on television. I've seen planks for sale that are disposable after a couple uses and I think the reason mine are still going strong is because I made them pretty thick (about 3/4 of an inch). Also, I don't put mine too close to direct heat, so that may add to their longevity. Definitely a tasty way to eat fish!

13. maximus

maximus New Member

Salmon cooked on a cedar plank sounds amazing. I don't think I've ever had salmon prepared this way. I'm going to have to try it!

14. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

The first time we had this was at my brother-in-law's place. He soaked the cedar plank in water for a few hours, and then he put the salmon on the plank and placed the whole thing on the barbeque rack. He kept the lid closed until it was done. I'm not a big salmon lover, but done this way it was tasty.

15. Sandy

Sandy New Member

We tried this the other night after reading about it here. I was able to find some cedar planks and used them to fix the sockeye salmon we were having for dinner. Everyone loved it, although they don't have to fix it this way every week. We do cook salmon once a week in our household.

16. Marshall

Marshall New Member

I've heard of it , sorry I can't help - but let us know how all turns out ......MB