Quality Matters

Discussion in 'Woodworking Power Tools' started by contractor, Jan 12, 2012.

1. contractor

contractor New Member

The old adage that you get what you pay for is sure true when it comes to power tools. Back when I was a weekend do-it-yourselfer, I'd buy the cheapest power tools I could find. They were good enough for occasional use. Once I went into business, it didn't take long for those tools to get tossed. I found that it wasn't worth the aggravation, so since then I've always bought brands like Bosch and DeWalt. I rarely have a problem but if I do, these companies stand behind their products.

2. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

Funny you'd talk about tool quality. My two sons both asked for good quality power tools for Christmas. They said they were tired of using junk. One wanted drills and the other a circular saw.

3. Nailed

Nailed New Member

I love the old tools. I do worry sometimes about the cords on them and whether they are as safe as the new ones when it comes to electricity going through the cords. The same thing happens when I bring home old power tools from an estate sale. I often add new cords to err on the side of safety.

4. Rae

Rae New Member

I generally buy higher priced, better quality tools also. It's worth it to put out the extra money to avoid replacing it a year later. I've tried to save and buy the cheap stuff, but it always ends up biting me in the butt.

5. Nailed

Nailed New Member

At Christmas and for my birthday, I've gotten so many thoughtful gifts that ended up in the closet and going to charity. I knew as soon as I opened them, they were cheap brands and wouldn't last me for long. Still, it's the thought that counted, and I couldn't tell the person not to give me those things. So I've just donated them and keep using my good stuff.

6. contractor

contractor New Member

I bet there is not a builder out there who hasn't cut through the cord on his saw at least once. Manufacturers have finally gotten smarter by putting longer cords on their more expensive saws. It makes them easier to maneuver and less likely to cut through the cord.

7. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

I used to buy cheap tools but I have since learned my lesson. Getting something that is made cheaply and having to discard it is, in my opinion, akin to throwing money away.

8. contractor

contractor New Member

I agree with you Sparrow. But I guess if you're only buying a tool to use for the odd repair, then I can see why people opt for the best deal instead of the best quality.

9. I agree, you really get what you pay for. I used to buy the best deal or the cheapest I could find, but I really learned that lesson quick. Might as well spend the money up front and have something that lasts.

10. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

Same here, I have spent a small fortune outfitting my shop with good quality tools, juts spent $1300 on a bandsaw.

11. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

When it comes to tools " you get what you pay for ". I am a firm believer that good quality is the way to go.
    I do construction for a living and having good tools makes a difference. They will save you time and aggravation.

12. Sandy

Sandy New Member

My sister dropped her mouth wide open when she saw how much I paid for a couple of saws that were delivered from a special French handsaw company this week. She still thinks a saw is a saw.

13. Blueb

Blueb New Member

I'm curious how much you paid Sandy - care to share? I love Dewalt products. I also buy a lot of Craftsmen products. I like the warranty. I have to be honest and say I'm never bought anything from a French company but I'm interested now.