Outdoor Playset

Discussion in 'General Woodworking' started by Stiffy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Stiffy

Stiffy New Member

Redwood, Treated Fir, or neither. Which wood is best to use on an outdoor playset.

2. cranbrook2

cranbrook2 New Member

Cedar works very well outside :)

3. woodcrafts

woodcrafts New Member

We used pressure treated wood for our outdoor swingset. I believe it was just regular pressure treated wood. I have to say that it cost more than I thought it would when we were all done. We built a big set - heavy duty - for adults as well as kids. Total cost when we were done was around $800 and we had no kit.

4. maximus

maximus New Member

When I was a child, my father built my siblings and I a cedar playhouse. I definitely second that cedar is a wonder choice because the oils in the wood act as natural preservatives and ward against fungi and insects.

Plus, It smelt wonderful.

5. Harry

Harry New Member

There's a huge cedar swingset and club house in the back yard of the house behind us. It was there for the doctor's child who lived there when we moved into this house. That was in 1995, so it's at least 16 years old. The set is still in good condition after two families have lived in the house. I'd say it's a good, sturdy swingset. It is made of cedar.

6. contractor

contractor New Member

Although you can use pressure treated, cedar, although expensive is much nicer all around and it'll last almost longer than your kids will use the playset. You'll have fewer issues with it than with pressure treated as well.

7. woodcrafts

woodcrafts New Member

We have not had any problems yet with the pressure treated wood. It is not cracking or showing age yet. I love cedar wood too so I bet it would be a great wood to use for an outdoor playset.

8. Harry

Harry New Member

My brother is looking for a swing set for his kids and has decided to go with the cedar one. I think he'd love to swipe the one from our neighbor's yard, but that's not going to happen. Still, it's a great set.

9. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

Cedar is more expensive than pressure treated wood but will last longest without splintering. Plus with cedar you know it hasn't been pre-treated with chemicals like pressure treated has.

10. perfectionss

perfectionss New Member

No problem with the pressure treated wood but Cedar is expensive than pressure treated wood so depend on you how much expanse you want?

11. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

Cedar is natural while pressure treated is full of noxious chemicals that are not good for you.