Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Old wood working machines

Discussion in 'Woodworking Power Tools' started by TWOODSR, Jul 26, 2009.

1. TWOODSR

TWOODSR New Member

I recently "found " this site and have been going through the different forums and reading all of the different posts about the many aspects of wood working.

How many members have and still use old wood working machines?

I purchased a 8in. Dewalt/ Black & Decker RAS from a guy on a $25 gamble and to see this thing when I first got it, It looked like something that needed to be tossed in the junk, Then I found the web site " Old wood working machines" and I found a copy of the owners manual and downloaded it for free and was able to "restore" this thing back to perfect working condition. I found that Sears was the only place that carried a 8in. blade for it and after spending a few days taking it apart, cleaning, adjusting it, I put it to work in my shop and it gets alot of use. Sure, it will not cut everything a 10in. will, but it does everything I need it to do and the price was right, under $100 for the saw, the blade and a set of casters for the stand.

2. Mike Davis

Mike Davis New Member

Well, let's see.

I have a set of 1940s Craftsman power tools, including 8 inch table saw, 6 inch jointer, 20 inch scroll saw, medium size wood lathe, a 1960s three wheel band saw and a 1970s 6 x 36 belt sander. Paid $125 for all that.

Then there are the hand tools, too many to list, but you said "machines".

Oh, yeah my big lathe. No name that I can find, looks like 1940-50 built. It has a 19 inch swing, 8 foot bed, 6 1/2 foot length capacity. Uses a #4 morris taper tailpiece and has a nice huge adjustable bronze tapered bushing in the head.

I just added an electronic variable speed and reversible motor to the lathe and now I love it even more better. :D

3. TWOODSR

TWOODSR New Member

Hello Mike,
    You might think of checking out the OWWM site for info on your lathe or maybe post some photos of it on there for others who could help you ID it.
    Any way, keep turning .

4. Mike Davis

Mike Davis New Member

I have looked at every lathe on there and searched every site that has anything to do with tools or lathes, no help so far.

I think the Chambers Aircraft Company may have built it for their own use and it may be a one off.

5. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

My husband has dreamed about his old machines, which his family business took over when he dismantled his workshop 30 years or more ago. Since he retired, he has brought home some of his old stuff. He doesn't have much yet, but he does keep saying how they worked so much better than anything he could buy now.

6. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

I have a Hammond Glide-o-saw that was made to cut lead blocks for Linotype machines. I am in the process of restoring it and converting it to cut wood. It is a very interesting old machine.

7. Frank Donnelly

Frank Donnelly New Member

I didn’t have any, too bad. However, restoration projects of vintage and awesome machines never fail to amaze me. Something I have been wanting to do. Someday, I will get to it.