Maintenance Is The Best Home Improvement

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by contractor, Jan 6, 2012.

1. contractor

contractor New Member

As a contractor, I deal with fixing a lot of problems. Many of these problems could have been prevented if only the homeowner had done some basic maintenance. Plan a seasonal maintenance schedule so nothing gets missed. For instance, before winter, check seals on doors, weatherstripping, etc. In the summer, power wash siding and decks. You'll be amazed at the things you notice while doing these chores, and then you can avoid major problems which can end up being costly to repair.

2. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

That's great advice.

Unfortunately, I am stuck renting an apartment and even simple maintenance projects are something I need to get clearance for. I wish I had a little more control and I wasn't forced to wait around while someone is sent over to take a look at the reported issues. There's just so much red tape and delay it drives me crazy. Confirming there even is a problem sometimes takes months. By then, the problem is even worse and more costly.

A little maintenance definitely goes a long way. It's something everyone should be more proactive about.

3. naeer

naeer New Member

You are absolutely correct. Maintenance is very important. We can save a lot if we can have a proper maintenance schedule. When we talk about maintenance, we have to focus on seasons. Most maintenance activities are seasonal. Fall is the ideal time to prepare your home for the coming winter. We have to follow routine maintenance procedures in the winter months. During the spring we can assess winter damage and repair. Also we have to prepare for warmer months. Over the summer, we may have to attend to indoor and outdoor maintenance tasks such as painting Patio Furniture, repairing walkways and steps, repairing the roof.

4. Rob

Rob New Member

We're dealing with a house now where someone had a little leak in the roof. It was fairly easy to fix. They put a bucket underneath it and emptied it on occasion, like you see in the movies. You know what happened. Now we're ripping out whole sections where rot has set in and making repairs that could have been avoided.

5. carrot

carrot New Member

Sadly, too many homeowners are unable to do even the simplest of repairs but don't have any money to pay someone to do it for them. This economy has hurt a lot of people. More homeowners should learn how to do the basics as part of home ownership is taking care of that home.

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

I have done my own home repairs for as long as I can remember, and that goes back many years. I do have to hire out things like the roof, major plumbing and a few other big jobs. The original poster of this thread has it right. Maintenance is everything when it comes to keeping the repair bills down.

7. Sandy

Sandy New Member

We're calling in the home maintenance people this week to take care of some jobs I just can't see myself getting around to doing. I have good intentions and could learn to do some of the tasks. I just never get around to doing them.