Looking for easy ways to spruce up a home

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Sparrow, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

I'd really like to do a few home improvements and I'm looking to do them on a budget. What are some ways I can spruce up my home?

I was thinking about adding baseboards and maybe some nice crown molding to start.

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

I just added new stair railings to my two closed staircases. We found them at an architectural supply store. They are old walnut and came out of an old farmhouse that had been torn down. They really add a touch of class to the stairwells. This is something you might try.

3. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

Crown molding really adds to the room, as does chair railing. I like adding bead board in certain areas. A little paint and new window treatments go a long way, too, especially for us ladies.

4. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

Adding ceramic tiles to bathroom counter tops or floors could spruce them up. Or how about doing a laminate floor in a room or two? These are inexpensive but you can get some nice looking ones.

5. woodcrafts

woodcrafts New Member

I think new baseboards is a great idea. You can even make them! Pick a stain and get working. We have made molding and baseboards for the kitchen and the bathrooms in our house. I'm not sure what bead board is? Can someone explain it to me please? My parents ripped out drywall and used tongue and groove boards in their living room. I love the look - it's country looking to me.

6. carrot

carrot New Member

New light fixtures can add a lot of style to a room. Really, it depends on what room you're talking about and what your needs are. For just cosmetic face-lifts because you're bored, there are a lot of very inexpensive ways to make it look different.

7. Cammy

Cammy New Member

I think everyone has some great ideas. When I wanted to spruce up my house, we painted and added bamboo window shades. It was crazy how just those little things made the room look completely different!

8. steve

steve Member

Area rugs are a great way to add new look to any room.

9. Christopher

Christopher New Member

Whenever I want to change out the look of my home, I paint, change out light fixtures and change the curtains and blinds. Sometimes, little things can make a big difference.