Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

I Want a Lathe So Bad!

Discussion in 'Woodturning' started by woodywoodpecker, Feb 1, 2009.

1. woodywoodpecker

woodywoodpecker New Member

I love to woodwork and have done on small things for many years. I've built the odd cabinet or table. I've even done a rocking chair for my mother for mother's day but...but.......I want a lathe! I can almost smell the sawdust and curls coming off of my project. I really want to start making wooden bowls and really need a lathe to try this with any success. :D

2. WoodWrangler

WoodWrangler New Member

My recommendation ... start with a good quality mini-lathe to get your feet wet. The Jet 1220 is a great machine with plenty of power if you try your hand at a bowl, or something, but won't break the bank. It's also built well and if you like turning and decide you want a bigger machine, you could actually keep it around too.

Just a warning ... the lathe isn't the expensive part of turning --- it's the tools and accessories. You'll need some chisels at the very minimum, and more than likely you'll also need some of the following: grinder, sharpening jig setup, drill chuck, sandpaper, 4-jaw chuck, faceshield, dust protectors, more chisels, and wood (though the best kind is usually the free kind)

Good luck and if you need any ENCOURAGEMENT, I'm always glad to help. I work in both the flat and round, but really enjoy turning. I've only been turning about a year and am still a rookie ... but I have two lathes and an ever-growing stash of accessories and free logs!

3. woodpecker

woodpecker New Member

A few days back, I wanted to purchase a lathe too and was looking around for information regarding the same. I stumbled into a site, mini-lathe dot com. It is simply great, with loads of information. Why not check it out? I am sure it will help you make a wise purchase.

4. JM Owen

JM Owen New Member

Lots of good work has been done on home made lathes.

5. woodywoodpecker

woodywoodpecker New Member

Hmmmm, you've all given me some things to think about. I may look around a great deal before I commit to anything. I really want to do this but my question is, will it be practical for me and will I really use it. These things I have to figure out on my own I guess. But Home Depot is my toy store and I love hanging out there!:D

6. toolman

toolman New Member

Lathe

WoodyWoodpecker

WoodWrangler has hit the head. :cool: I started with a lathe from Harbor Freight the $100. one. I used it two times and went out and got a Rikon mini-lathe

[​IMG]

Pen turning is fast and fun!
    It is highly addictive!
    All your free time you once had will become a thing of the past!!
    And Down The Dark Side Of Woodworking You! Will!
    Goooooo!!

7. Wood Gnome

Wood Gnome New Member

I think we all have to weigh how much we will actually use an item against our overall desire to have it. I know I have wanted to add a lathe for a while now but my schedule doesn't really allow a lot of shop time right now so I think I am going to wait a while before making my purchase

8. Bart

Bart New Member

Woodpecker
    "A few days back, I wanted to purchase a lathe too and was looking around for information regarding the same. I stumbled into a site, mini-lathe dot com. It is simply great, with loads of information. Why not check it out? I am sure it will help you make a wise purchase."

This site seems to be mostly about metal lathes & metal turning almost completely different than wood turning.