Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Finish for Cedar Chairs

Discussion in 'General Woodworking' started by Cammy, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Cammy

Cammy New Member

My uncle made me some cedar chairs for my patio. He did not finish them, so I need to do it. What is the best finish for cedar, so it can stick around through the weather and not splinter?

2. steve

steve Member

Thomson's water seal maybe if you are looking for a clear finish. Poly would just crack and peal in the sun.

3. Russell Pisciotta

Russell Pisciotta New Member

Chose a stain or dye, stain is better on cedar, then use Spar. Of course you don't have to do anything with cedar if you choose to just leave it alone. This is assuming you have fence cedar, and not aromatic cedar. I like the way fencing cedar lasts, but as far as attractiveness, nah.

4. remodelme

remodelme New Member

I would use a stain - you can pick the color you want or just a natural clear stain. All you need is something that will penetrate the wood to protect the wood. I would also be sure to bring the chairs in out of the weather in the winter.

5. MissionIsMyMission

MissionIsMyMission New Member

Depends on the kind of "Finish" you want. If you want you can just soak it with Boiled Linseed oil on an annual basis. If you want them to last for ever and have a slick finish I'd coat em with 2 coats of 10% thinned epoxy and then 4-5 coats of Epiphane Marine varnish. It has HIGH UV protection and will last for 5+ years out in the elements. Very Glossy.;)

6. Matty

Matty New Member

I've never heard of Epiphane Marine varnish - is this a color or just shiny? For anything cedar I have always used just a clear poly protection. I love the cedar color so I would not apply anything that had a color.

7. Blueb

Blueb New Member

I agree with a clear coat of something to make sure the wood is protected. You will probably want to apply this each year. Weather takes a lot out of wood. I would not use a colored stain either.

8. MissionIsMyMission

MissionIsMyMission New Member