Dremel?

Discussion in 'Woodworking Power Tools' started by Woodyoumind?, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Woodyoumind?

Woodyoumind? New Member

Does anyone find very much use for their Dremel power tool? I bought one quite a while ago but seriously, I have yet to use it for anything I couldn't use another tool for. It's alright, but I just really have yet to find a Good use for it.:eek:

2. WoodWrangler

WoodWrangler New Member

Nope. The only time I break mine out is when I need to cut something metal and don't know how else to do it.

3. woodpecker

woodpecker New Member

Do you mean Dremel's rotary tools? I don't know much about them, I am afraid. Aren't there many varieties of rotary tools? I was under the impression to you can find many uses for them.

4. Woodyoumind?

Woodyoumind? New Member

I have yet to find a use for the Dremel rotary tool that I couldn't do with something else. It's a nice little gadget but it's just not my first choice when I go to do something.

5. olfrt

olfrt New Member

Hey guys just send those unwanted Dremel tools to me please, In the last week I have used mine to inlet door hinges, sharpen a chain saw, polish the mating surfaces between the sole and block on a Stanley number 5 plane, and to polish assorted plane irons and chip breakers. The more I use a Dremel tool the more I find to do with it. It is handy for minor stock work on guns and polishing gun parts too.

6. peerawit

peerawit New Member

Got dremel multi when working on the hardwood floors. I have a wall that was built on top of the hardwood that needed to be taken up and replaced. I have no other tool that would make a flush cut through the three foot section of hardwood. This thing cut through them like butter.

:D

7. reeltime

reeltime New Member

I have a 400 series Dremel and a MultiMax oscillating tool. The MulitMax is a must-have tool if you're doing home repair. From scraping off old wallpaper to removing old mirror glue to blasting away grout, cutting drywall, this is a well made tool that does a lot. Word of warning-- watch your speed settings. I fried up my sanding attachment because I was running it too fast.

The 400 is a terrific little tool. I've stripped paint, cut wood and metal, and polished old brass. I forget that I have it out sometimes when I have a well-suited job, then have the "I coulda had a V8" moment after struggling with a different set of tools. I'm a big fan-- but it does go through brushes pretty quick, so have extras on-hand. The best attachment is the flexible cable. With that attachment you can get a cutting blade into an area nearly impossible to reach. My most useful moment for the Dremel so far was cutting tin-plate backsplash for my kitchen. Tin snips would have bent the metal. The Dremel just sliced right through it, and left a clean edge.

8. Ozzie

Ozzie New Member

I had a variable speed Dremel tool that I only used like two times in five years. I had a project that I needed to use it on and found the speed control had gone to pot. I took it to the Factory Service Center in Racine, WI, (don't know if it is still there), and they took a look at it. When they saw how little use it had they replaced it free of charge! Now that is good customer service!!

Ozzie

9. Nailed

Nailed New Member

Interesting perspectives here. I have thought no shop should be without a Dremel, but obviously others feel differently. I sometimes work on model airplanes and find all sorts of uses for it, especially when a friend comes over to make some repairs to his plane.

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

My wife and I create miniature dollhouse furniture and we use our Dremel constantly. It is great for these types of small jobs and can do quick cuts, sanding and carving which is one of the major requirements of creating miniature items.

11. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

I think I would find a Dremel useful in some of the crafts projects I used to do, should I ever start them up again. I used to have a small electric saw especially made for small things, but I sold it at a yard sale years ago.

12. Rae

Rae New Member

My father-in-law gave me a Dremel for Christmas and I am loving it! I used to do all of my carving by hand. This handy little tool cuts my time invested and it's a lot more accurate than I could ever be.

13. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

I'm in the market for a good Dremel. The last one I had was a cheap model that didn't hold up too well. It was a gift so I can't really complain but now that I am buying my own I definitely want to get something of quality.

14. Sandy

Sandy New Member

I have an old Dremel saw that I use when I'm working on some of the craft items I like to fool around with. I suppose I could use something else, but it's served me well over the years.

15. Russell Pisciotta

Russell Pisciotta New Member

It's not a woodworking tool per se. It does have some interesting uses, but you'll just have to figure out what you need before you use it. I have the rotary tool and the MM40 multi max. The multi max is a lifesaver if you need to shave off some wood to make a fit. I wouldn't use it for anything visible on the work though, it's not a tool that makes neat cuts. It does have many uses. I'd suggest you at least get the multimax.