Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

diy coffee table project

Discussion in 'General Woodworking' started by atomic.argonaut, Apr 20, 2012.

1. atomic.argonaut

atomic.argonaut New Member

Hey there,

I was walking through an old salvage shop in brooklyn when i ran across a cutout slab of an old bowling alley and decided it'd make a great coffee table. I've absolutely no experience with this sort've thing and was wondering if I could get a few pointers. I'm interested in sanding it down to eliminate some minor chipping and what not. As well as that I'm interested in extending its length by about five inches with a few add-on pieces of pine. Lastly I was hoping to varnish it as close to its original state as possible.

My first question is what sortve sanding tool I should use. Orbital sander? Belt Sander? Somebody suggested a palm sander but I remember using one when I was younger and based on my limited experience with it assume that'd take forever. Secondly what grit should I start/end with.

Also I was considering staining some of the individual slats to achieve that darkwood/light-wood effect that was sometimes characteristics of the fifties lanes. I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations about the varnish/staining process.

Below are some photos hosted on imageshack. Thanks in advance!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/img0026jcv.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/img0024kb.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/img0023xm.jpg/

2. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

I would use a belt sander due to the area. I would start with 100 and work up to 220 as a minimum. As to staining, you will have to get down to bare wood to use stain. Stain will not soak into a finished surface.

3. sheperd80

sheperd80 New Member

Thats a cool idea for a table! Personally i would cut it square with a circular saw and guide unless u have a large tablesaw. Then belt sander to smooth the edges amd remove the finish then orbital to get it up to 220 or so.. If thats from the bowling "lane" it must have some crazy wax finish on it. I would strip it all and start fresh, especially if u plan to add boards.

As far as a two-tone stain job, that could be difficult. I personally dont like trying to stop stain with tape as it tends to bleed under. The only way i would know how to do that would be to individually stain the boards before assembly.

Good luck! Share pics when u get going on it.