Conserving Space

Discussion in 'General Woodworking' started by Sparrow, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow New Member

My home is quite small and I don't have a lot of room for woodworking. I'm planning to move this coming spring, but I don't want to just give up on my woodworking until then. Space is a big issue for me and I'm constantly trying to find room to keep my supplies and projects.

Does anyone have any helpful tips?

2. maximus

maximus New Member

I also have space issues.

I found that it helped if I designated a certain area for my projects. I didn't want my hobby taking over the entire house so I set myself up a workspace in the study. For health and safety reasons, I also work outside as much as possible, especially if I'm going to be creating a lot of dust. It also gives me more room to work.

3. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

We cleared out a small storage building for my husband when he retired. He's putting a jaw-horse in there and a work bench on wheels that roll out so he can use it under the carport. This spring we're clearing out my big storage building and letting him take that over. I've already had a work table built across the back wall of this building, so it should work for him.

4. BldrsWife

BldrsWife New Member

For storage issues, I would suggest that you use some ceiling high shelving to make the most out of whatever space you do have. I know a lot of woodworkers like to spread out, like my husband. Perhaps you could try to focus on only 1 thing at a time so you're using only minimal space when you're working.

5. Nailed

Nailed New Member

I found some great deep shelves at a local salvage yard. They are made from steel and have all sorts of room. I laid down some thin plywood along the bottom of some of the shelves so small things wouldn't fall through. It saves me so much space.

6. Rae

Rae New Member

I have a shed for tool storage and I do all my work outside. I am hoping to build a shop one day so I can work on my projects in rain or shine.

7. Russell Pisciotta

Russell Pisciotta New Member

My wood shop is in a two car garage and i still don't have enough room. You tend to use the space you have. Best advice is to put large tools like TS and BS on wheels so you can move them out of the way when you're finished with them.

8. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

In a small area you almost have to put everything on wheels so you can move equipment around to use it.
    I recently had to downsize my shop drastically and am in the same boat for now. It takes a-lot of enjoyment out of it when you have to keep moving your equipment around but you almost have no choice in a small shop.
    When you buy wheeled bases for your tools make sure to buy good bases because cheap ones will make your life miserable.
    You need to keep the floor clean also because any little piece of debris will stop the wheels.

As far as storage you could as stated above get some shelving or if possible maybe make a small shed to hold some of you projects or wood. A small shed could also be moved if you decide to go somewhere else.

9. Maureen

Maureen New Member

10. Matty

Matty New Member

I love the wheels comment. I have a very large wood shop so I don't need to conserve space. My parents have a small wood shop area and my dad has many things on wheels.
    I hope the next place you buy has a larger area for you to work in.

11. woadwunner

woadwunner Member

If you go to www.leevalley.com , you ca find a book especially for small shops and how to set them up. It also has a lot of plans in it.