Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Built in cabinets

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Matty, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Matty

Matty New Member

Right now we have built in cabinets in our kitchen. I like them but my wife said they are "old school". I really think that they give us more "livable" room but she hates them. How much work would it be to put other cabinets in and make the built in cabinets a wall?

2. Blueb

Blueb New Member

Oh no - is she crazy? I would love to have built in cabinets. Think of the room you would be saving. I imagine you would have to insulate and then add wood studs before you put drywall up. You would want to finish the whole wall - not just the area where the cabinets were. Then again if you just put new cabinets in front of the built in ones you would not have to worry about the look.

3. busterswoodshop

busterswoodshop Super Moderator Staff Member

Just mount the new cabinets to the built in cabinet doors. Then your wife can have nice new cabinets and then you can just swing the whole cabinet out and use the built in cabinets for yourself. You get the best of both worlds.

Just kidding of course.
    Without seeing them I would say you would probably have to take off the old cabinet doors and rip out the old face frames. Then you would need to stud it in and drywall and texture the wall. It would be a good idea to add some backing in the wall to mount the new cabinets to.
    Then mount your new cabinets and make your wife happy again.

4. MissionIsMyMission

MissionIsMyMission New Member

I you could/would post some pics of the existing cabinets, it would be easier to possibly guide you to a proper solution.

5. Matty

Matty New Member

Oh man when I first started to read your post buster - I was excited. That would be a cool idea but obviously would not work. I wish I could post a picture... Not tech savvy! I would imagine I would need to put insulation in the walls and then drywall up. Something sturdy to anchor the new cabinets to.

6. Blueb

Blueb New Member

Matty that would have been funny. Of course it won't work - the cupboards when you swung them out would break! I still want to say that I would love built in cupboards.

7. remodelme

remodelme New Member

Wow - I would love built in cabinets too. Think of the room you are saving. I also think it gives kitchens a "country look". I don't really know what you would do to changes these. I'm thinking you would have to finish the wall and then put up new cabinets.