Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 201

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 202

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 205

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 206

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 209

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 212

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 213

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 214

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 215

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 218

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 219

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 222

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 223

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 226

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 227

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 228

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 229

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 232

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 235

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 238

Warning: "continue" targeting switch is equivalent to "break". Did you mean to use "continue 2"? in /home/woodwork/public_html/library/XenForo/Locale.php on line 246

Building Your Own Lathe

Discussion in 'Woodturning' started by Wood Gnome, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Wood Gnome

Wood Gnome New Member

I found this project online for building your own wood lathe. I thought it might be helpful for those of us who would like to have a lathe but are unsure about the expense.

http://www.mimf.com/articles/lathe/index.htm

2. Woodyoumind?

Woodyoumind? New Member

Gee! I may try that! I don't have a lathe either and I'd like to try my hand at turning balustrades. I also would like to make a few decorative canes and such also. I could fill my Christmas list easily if I had one. Thanks for the link.

3. chocoguy

chocoguy New Member

These will prove to be useful for someone wanting to have there business about wood turning.

I used to work as a lathe machine operator with the computer attached to the lathe machine. I guess that it would be harder for me to use this since I am sitting with the computer and I let the machine do all the work for me.

4. Taggart

Taggart New Member

Thanks for posting the link. That looks like a very rustic lathe, with the thick would construction.

Speaking of lathe projects, I think it would be fun to try to make baseball bats. ;)

5. robdelman

robdelman New Member

A lathe might be one of the "safer" tools (saving for maybe the scroll saw and the drill press), but I always have these nightmares of a loose connection on the spindle, causing the dowel to fly straight off into my face. Be very careful if your building one yourself!

BTW - Avast reports a virus on that page link.

6. Nailed

Nailed New Member

I've made all sorts of wooden lamp bases using a lathe, and I think a home-made lathe could turn out some interesting lamps. I run a pipe down the center, add cords, sockets and finials to end up with lamps that are one-of-a-kind.

7. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

We have some beautiful wood bowls with fine, swirly grains in the bottom we've been using all the time we have been married. Hubby says he turned them with a lathe as a high school project many years ago in his woodworking class. They have to be 30 years old, but are one of my favorite things in the house.