Sources for quality hand tools

Discussion in 'Woodworking Hand Tools' started by Sidekick, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

As I may have pointed out, my husband has recently retired and wants a shop of his own. I am reluctant to have him around power tools because of his general health and being prone to accidents and falling. He's handicapped and over 70. We've been scouting around for old hand tools and I'm getting ready to order him some he's picked out. I'd like to find other "inexpensive" items to surprise him with. How can I find older tools he would like that don't cost an arm and a leg (and I mean literally and figuratively).

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Have you tried looking on Craig's list? This is an internet site where people sell their items, either old or new free. You may very well find some nice items there. Ebay is another source as you can usually get some good deals there.

3. Sidekick

Sidekick New Member

JackJr, I've never used Craig's List because I've heard those bad stories about it. Are you sure it's safe? I wouldn't want to end up as the 5 o'clock evening news lead story. I'll start looking out for it and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Harry

Harry New Member

I've gotten old tools on both eBay and Craig's List, as well as attending auctions in my local area. The bidding can get pretty fierce on some of the old planers and hand tools. Lots of older men are more stubborn than the hard wood they think they're going to be cutting.

5. JackJr

JackJr New Member

I have never had any problems with Craig's list and I use it regularly. You should not have any issues with using it. Ebay is great as well, but I only buy from established sellers as I too have heard horror stories about it.